Click here to return to Prairie City Website.

Fair Housing & Illegal Housing Discrimination

Fair Housing is the name for the federal, state and local civil rights laws that protect all of us from illegal discrimination in housing transactions based on our race, color, national origin, religion, age, gender, physical or mental disability, the presence of children under age 18 (familial status), marital status, sexual orientation, domestic violence survivors, legal source of income, or domestic partnership status. Additionally, Prairie City also protects against housing discrimination based on ethnicity and age.

Prairie City has a  Fair Housing Resolution that strives to assure that persons of a protected class have choice in the location of their housing.

Fair Housing Help

Fair Housing Council of Oregon

Fair Housing Council of Oregon operates a hotline for housing discrimination and maintains a website with fair housing information. Anyone with a fair housing question can contact the hotline.

Fair Housing Council of Oregon - Hotline: 1-800-424-3247, ext. 2.

Messages and online inquiries are accepted and returned promptly,  even though the telephone hotline hours are limited to Fridays from 9 am to 12 pm, noon.

Fair Housing inquiries and complaints may be submitted online, or by sending an email to:  [Information@fhco.org](“mailto:Information@fhco.org”. More information is available on the Fair Housing Council of Oregon’s website: http://fhco.org

Center for Non-profit Legal Services

The Center for Non-profit Legal Services serves the low-income community throughout Grant County. While they do intakes on a wide variety of issues, the cases typically handled are related to housing, benefits, family law and issues of domestic violence. For more information, visit Center for Non-profit Legal Services.

Center for Non-profit Legal Services: 541-779-7291(9 am to noon, and 1-5 pm), https://cnpls.org/.

Bureau of Labor and Industries

The Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) protects your civil rights at home. You may  file a housing discrimination complaint or email help@boli.state.or.us for housing discrimination questions.

BOLI:  971-673-0761 (staffed Mon-Fri, 8 am - 5pm; messages can be left any time).

Housing and Urban Development Additionally, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) can be contacted direcly at https://www.hud.gov with discrimination complaints.